9 Amazing Facts about Ants
There are about ten quadrillion ants on Earth. Give or take a few billion. They've been wandering the planet for roughly a hundred million years. They persevered after the asteroids killed the dinosaurs.
Underestimate ants at your own peril.
- Pheromones are the language of ants.
- Like cicadas and crickets, ants rub body parts to make sound for quick information.
- Ants are farmers. Their livestock is aphids, their crops; leaf matter and Fungai. They grow bacteria as pesticides.
- Ants are powerlifters, capable of lifting thousands of times their body weight.
- Ants have no problem moving from one colony to another. A colony can be part of a new colony, which is part of a mega colony, which is part of a super colony, which is part of the same empire. Humans through trade, floods, earthquakes, and traveling animals have created a sense of universal colonial species for ants.
- The biggest known super colony is called the European Main. They cover 3700 miles between Italy and Portugal.
- A colony of ants create structures, floating or terrestrial, to protect the members and react to environmental changes like flooding or travel across chasms.
- A colony of ants is like a Borg. Coordinated integrated communication has millions acting as one.
- Ants use their antennae like walkie-talkies.
Are they are poised for world domination? Or are we unaware of our overlords?